Thursday, July 26, 2007

Paris, Poker and the Polka Dot Dress

The other story from Amsterdam will get finished eventually, I promise. For now let me battle this French keyboard to type about Paris.

It was bizarre and scary arriving here, alone for the first time in a long time and knowing that I was going to be on my own for quite a while longer. I found the metro, but then got quite lost and for every bitter french person there was a nice one. Note to self, when in paris, have a REALLY good map. After about an hour and a bit I wandered in a cafe and they helped me phone my host. Another interesting fact is that you need a special calling card to use the pay phones in Paris - ANNOYING! Vincent, my host, came to get me and then we went for Lebanese food and then to a couchsurfers quiz night in a bar in Paris. We stayed up chatting that night until I eventually just fell asleep. The next day I went to Notre Dame which was quite emotional, as I had one of the most down to earth conversations with a priest who basically said - you are young, allow yourself to explore, you know whats right within you. Then I wandered past the Louvre, up the Champs D'Elysses, past the Arc de Triomphe and then Home. That night we went to play poker with 5 of Vincent's friends who were afraid I would slow down the game. Until everyone else went home and I was still playing - I was the second to last one out, and broke even. Thats how to live cheap in Paris - play poker.
Yesterday me and my polka dot dress went to the Eiffel Tower in the morning and then walked to the Moulin Rouge later. I have been walking everywhere with a not so great map, so journeys can often take quite a while, but it is a great way to see the city. I love walking along the water and watching the world pass by. and yes, I have had croissants and a baguette. Last night we went for drinks with about 15 friends and it made me sad to leave. I didnt pay for one drink and they all invited me out with them on the weekend. When we got home Vincent cooked me an omlete at about one am, and then we talked about dreams and the little prince(we discovered a mutual love of it the night before) Vincent is very sweet and when I offered to do the dishes he made me promise not to because I am only here for 4 days. Couchsurfing is the way to travel, although I am excited to experience hostel life in Barcelona
This morning I woke up early and walked down the Champs again ( I live about 15 minutes from the Arc) to the Louvre, where I spent 5 hours before getting totally overwhelmed by the hugeness of the place and the gross amount of people. The morning is definietely the time to go.
Tonight we are going to dinner with Jean Paul and Arlette who I worked with in Vancouver.

I feel like this was more of a blah of information than anything poetic but it has been incredible and I love Paris - I just need a better map. Tomorrow night I experience my first night train on my way to Barcelona!

LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE to you all
Dani

No comments: